Some remodeling projects require insurance protection. It is critical to have enough coverage before you do any work, so consider these five main steps first:
1. Consult your insurance agent before anything else
2. Verify that your contractor has adequate insurance
3. Keep receipts and invoices
4. Update your insurance coverage after the remodel
5. Seek help from professionals
But if you've never done any remodeling work, it's best to call in the experts you may need include plumbers, carpenters, painters, electricians, bricklayers, or floor and carpet installers.
When you decide who to call, ask for quotes and ask if they are licensed to do the type of work you need. Also make sure everything is in writing, including the cost of materials and labor, as well as the estimated time to finish the job.